Anastasia Goodstein brings together a group of teenagers to talk about how they use mobile and the web.
- they are early adopters but the tech needs to meet core needs. This is atalk with a panel of teens from ages 12-17
What do you like?
- Goodreads.com, cos a social network site, plus reviews of books, purevolume.com, signed and unsigned bands, get a taste of a lot of stuff
- myspace and facebook, cos create own layout and put pictures, customise the design, to communicate with friends and family (sisters)
- myspace and facebook, more facebook cos it has addons – can make own superhero. to be connected with everyone at school. Also Digg, Newsforgamers
- myspace, hi5, to keep in touch with friends and family – especially on holiday times. Looks for bands/music. Meet new people from school that I don’t know. (is 12, and is 16 on myspace)
- myspace, mixmatters – a music website, has artists, plus a mixtape website (datbizz)
- 17.com, to keep updated with styles, not too good, does not tell you how to do the hairstyles. hipster.com, for playlists and new music.
- myspace, to talk to friends and family. runescape. chat to people all over the world. (12, but 99 on myspace)
What annoys you?
- ads everywhere, distracting ones. They slow down the computers. On nba.com, ads for Miller between each vid that got annoying – the same things everytime. Viral attack on myspace. Insterstitial ads are really annoying. Sound files on ads. Taking 6000 years to load – so much crap to load, 800000 video ads that pop up and stay there
Are you getting social network fatigue?
- not changed for me, I just check periodically. With facebook I use more, due to the add-ons
- when first on myspace, I was checking every hour, going to everyone’s pages. Once added all the pages, then just check occasionally.
- . when I got myspace (you had to you were a total social loser). They keep updating things to try and make it better but they do not need to – messages and pictures but it’s not my life.
It sounds like myspace is email for you? do you use email?
- I created my email just to get into myspace. use it to register on sites. for fanclubs etc.
- I use email for my sisters, and teachers at school. I email to ask for homework etc.
- The campus has email to contact teachers and school friends. For business I have a ‘professional’ address, to get interviews, for reporting. You have to be able to write an email, as myspace and IM abbreviatyeswords etc. we have to keep the writing skills.
Do you use IM
- no – when younger to talk to school
Phones. So what kind of phone, did you want that kind of phone. What do you have on it?
- Don’t have a phone
- LG Music phone. Unlimited SMS, I have to text. play tetris a lot, no ring tones, as can;t use web on phones, occasionally bluetooth it.
- TMobile Blackberry Pearl. It’s connected to email, unlimited testing – use it a lot. Like to play pacman. A lot of ringtones, get them from phonezoo – you can do their own. No web as too expensive.
- Trakphone – no plan, cost. only for emergencies. so it’s never charged. no ringtones or wallpaper.
- A older sprint phone, in about 4 pieces on my pocket. nothing special – calls and SMS. Have emergency games if I was bored out of my mind.
- A sony exersion. Listen to music, text. I plau games – pacman and dinerdash
- Verizon LG camera. I use texts (500/month) I pay for this. I need the texts. I have ringtones, $3 and have tetris $5. Don’t have the money for a lot. Use camera a lot to take pictures and send to friends
- I can record videos and watch them
- They said they could not live without (those who had had it a while)
How about virtual worlds? Social networks with avatars?
- I have one in runescape, a lot of places are trying to copy this. I spend about an hour or so working to be rich in runescape
- Xbox live is the closest. I play people on Halo.
- I used to use Ziwinkie, It’s really dull and boring, about 2x a year. It’s noting different.
- Runescape, Gaia online, played many different MMOs, the cost $50/month is a problem. the pay to play is dying on me.
- Ziwinki, I don’t use it anymore.did not want ot play anymore
- Don’t really use it avatar stuff anymore.
Opened up for questions?
I’m from marketing, trying to sell. With UGC, have you done these and what do you think?
- I did something for YouTube, for AirJordan. It was pretty easy to use (windows movie maker)
- If I had a camera I would do
- I had a video camera, I have done them, just never enter as miss the deadline. It’s cool, when you interact with something they are trying to sell, it is good makes you have a little feel that you have influence?
Does it make you respect the brand?
- If you open up, it makes me respect that company more – makes you feel better that they think you can do as well
I’m curious about content -news, political, cause? do you consume that? What would make you do that?
- reading Digg for news, getting things I’m interested in. YouTube and Digg etc.
- Interested in the debates, keep up with that. On YouTube, and google news. Wikipedia (they all use wikipedia)
- The Onion. It’s a kind of spoof..they bring me the paper. Things that catch my attention are funny, or give a different angle. the news is so dead sometimes, you want to turn it off. Also the Human Rights Campaign.
- (No one goes to main news pages)
(From PETA) do you think you can effect change online, for causes.
- Grain of Rice donation, I did
- The school is growing vegetables to sell and donate to a (hepper?). The school donates money to Bhopal, we send cards etc.
Would you rather do something physical?
- Yes, cos you get to interact with people and find out about them
- I liked the grain of raice, as it hid the cause behind the game
- Things that are easy to do as far as websites, they can do it from their own home, an easy out to feel like they helped.
- I have a couple of friends involved with peta, they leave bulletins on myspace. Doing stuff online gets my attention. eg posts about drunk driving, with graphic images. etc
(Disney) are you watching shows on tv or computer?
- I like dramas, Veoh, crunchieworld, a lot of foreign dramas. subtitled
- ABC family to watch it there – go to the channels sites.
- I watch the disney channel – TV and phone. Also on web and play games
- Usually use the DVR. Also the web
- Watch the disney online. Also ABC family
Are their any shows you have to watch?
- Wrestling. they’re really cute. CSI
- KyleXY when they on, my mom won’t record. CSI – love to watch as there never anything else on.
- anime – if I miss I go to veoh, if they don’t then go elsewhere. Some spanish drama
I’m from the antimarketing world, trying to stop companies in selling you stuff? Would you be interested in pushing back?
- advertising is always going to be there to help fund the website. I would help a little bit, if I did not see any progress, then back off 😉 Some advertising – a new game of course
- They need to go with what you are going to. on nba.com I don’t want to see beer. they have to stay on websites like ebay – where you are trying to buy things.
- it’s bad enough, it’s on TV and billboards, it is important to sell things. There needs to be in someplaces and not in places. mysp[ace when there are 600 banners around your page is really annoying.
I work for an interactive advertising agency. we build a lot of teen and tween brand.coms. do you visit websites like that and what types have you gone to. for online ads, do you play games which are ads?
- I do like to play the little games,
- WhatNext – on tv and I had to go to the site. Maybe.
- Tropicana – they were giving away free xbox points.
I’m from Gamelab. how about little flashgames?
- addictinggames.com, I like doing that.
- the computer I use is too old, so won’t work. I like them, but can;t really play them. I think they are cool.
- go to game sites, play new games,
- newgrounds. a flash portal to submit games. albinoblacksheep, ebaumsworlds. not blocked on school I will go. lots of flash games.
- (they all know how to get round the blocks)
Do you go outside?
- yes. still have friends, go outside, play on basketball team
- I go to camp, I have a job
- football. but always on the computer, there’s nothing wrong with that, right?
when you make plans with your friends – online, phone or person.
- in person during school
- in person or on the phone.
- there’s a reason they invented the phone – in person or text.
have any of you gone to a party base don a bulletin
what don’t marketers get about the web? If you could have a greater say in how brands appear on the web would that be better
- most adverts are very annoying, unless they are clever. I don’t like ads
- I like give aways,
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.