Denise Nemchev President, Stanley Fastening Systems www.stanleyworks.com
Nemchev is President of Stanley Bostitch, a Division of the Stanley Works. The Stanley Works is a worldwide supplier of tools, hardware and security solutions for professional, industrial, and consumer use. Stanley Bostitch is a $600M division of SWK headquartered out of East Greenwich, Rhode Island employing nearly 3,000 people world-wide. Stanley Bostitch is a full-line marketer and manufacturer of professional fastening tools and fasteners serving the global industrial, construction, home improvement, and office products users.
- we started over 100 ago with an innovation, with the stapler, the staple stick. Bostitch. They started in the book binding business.
- they still are designing, innovating fasteners, tools, nail guns and the whole works,
- thinking about the structure of the home, what is the base is a wood frame. Nails keep them together and that is what I am going to talk to you About innovating to prevent failures
- Disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes. The nail fails the house falls.
- so how do you solve a problem like this? you cannot do it alone, we need collaboration We worked with the Government, universities, other industries, such as the insurance industry.
- now we understand more than most to how a house fails
- in an earthquake, you get shear force, as the house rocks. with wind, you get shear and you get pull through, with the nails coming out of the wood.
- the team came up with a disaster resistant fastener, the Hurriquake
- the nail withstands up to twice the wind and 50% more shear force
- you get ridges on the bottom of the nail, and you get twists on the top, with a slightly bigger diameter than the hole. It screws in It holds together better. they put more material where the shear happens to reduce breaking.
- the nail head is 25% bigger and reduces the pull though.
- we are being recognised for the innovations, by Readers Digest, Popular Science.