Joanna Shields, Chief Executive, Tech City Investment Organisation & Matt Cowan, Writer & Broadcaster
An interview with Joanna, again all about London and the start up scene – the role of TechCity. (There was little actual information/evidence – just a general talk)
- They have changed the investment rules, to make it easier to get equity
- They are looking for top 50 companies to provide some direct help, who want to list and will get support and mentorship
- The gov believes that entrepreneurship is a way of growing, it is a change agent. The Tech sector is growing at 11% pa.
- TechCity is a group of neighbourhoods in East London. It is about community rather than gov initiative. Recognise that it is happening and providing support. It is happening across the country -there are 22 clusters.
- There is a dramatic shift in employment – growth businesses are changing. There is no job for life. So we are encouraging looking at entrepreneur as a valid career path.
- UK is very self-deprecating, we don’t shout out about success. Unlike the US. What is happening here…Financial, fashion, 3d printing, You start to see strength from the traditional areas.
- Changing priorities: we support all the way from ideas through to launching on the stock exchange. We cna support on the journey. We are going to be focusing on the skill side. About how to be great product managers, define specs, to understand consumer and market requirements.
- Learning: looking at pulling together the programmes and make people more aware of them,
- Silicon Roundabout: we are consulting with community, to understand what the changes and upgrades should be
- Other places: we are working with 22 clusters across the country. We can represent them to gov etc